SHARING THE GOOD NEWS OF JESUS WITH KIDS
Mom and Dad, I know that having a salvation conversation with your kid is both exciting and a little scary trying to figure out what to say, how much to push the message while still keeping the decision genuine. Take a deep breath, there is no one better to share Jesus with your child than you. God has given you your kid because they need you as their parent.
Now, take a few minutes to read over our guide, and then take several minutes to pray and invite the Holy Spirit into the conversation.
CONVERSATION OR PRESENTATION
Remember you are entering a conversation with your child, this is someone you spend time with every day, so allow it to be conversational in tone and not your 60-second elevator sales pitch. This also means an ongoing conversation, be willing and prepared for this talk to go on for several days, weeks, months, and years.
ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS
When sharing or counseling with a kid, always begin by asking a lot of open-ended questions. This step is very important because it allows kids to articulate their thoughts, and it allows you to gauge the level of understanding.
What do you understand about sin?
Who is God? What is God like?
What do you know about Jesus?
Why do we celebrate Easter? What do you understand about Jesus’ death?
If it becomes clear that a kid doesn’t understand some of the gospel essentials don’t push him or her. Some kids are simply not ready to make a decision to follow Christ, and that’s okay.
THE GOSPEL ESSENTIALS
1. God Rules. The Bible tells us God created everything, including you and me, and He is in charge of everything.
Scripture – Genesis 1:1, Revelation 4:11, Colossians 1:16-17
2. We Sinned. We all choose to disobey God. The Bible calls this sin. Sin separates us from God and deserves God’s punishment of death.
Scripture – Romans 3:23, 6:23
3. God Provided. God sent Jesus, the perfect solution to our sin problem, to rescue us from the punishment we deserve. It’s something we, as sinners, could never earn on our own. Jesus alone saves us.
Scripture – John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-9
4. Jesus Gives. He lived a perfect life, died on the cross for our sins, and rose again. Because Jesus gave up His life for us, we can be welcomed into God’s family for eternity.
Scripture – Romans 5:8, 2 Corinthians 5:21, 1 Peter 3:18, Ephesians 2:8-9
5. We Respond. Jesus has given us this gift, and we must accept this gift. Believe in your heart that Jesus alone saves you through what He’s already done on the cross. Repent, turning from self and sin to Jesus. Tell God and others that your faith is in Jesus.
Scripture – John 14:6, Romans 10:9-10, 13
For additional help:
CHILD EVANGELISM FELLOWSHIP
THE BIBLE PROJECT FOR KIDS